To empower California youth to thrive in school and life by advancing and supporting culturally responsive Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) programs, policies and practices in all schools and communities statewide.
We envision California schools as the heart of the community, central to family and community engagement; where young people, and the adults who work with them, thrive personally and professionally.
We envision a school environment where culturally responsive SEL practices are embedded in everything we do – implemented schoolwide and across all content areas and in all aspects of learning; before, during, and after school. An environment where the mental health and wellbeing of all students and adults are priority, and where social justice and equity are integral to the culture.
Only then, can we expect all students to flourish, achieve academic success, and develop the life-skills needed to lead happy, healthy, and socially responsible lives.
Whole Child – Whole School – Whole Family – Whole Community
- Educate legislators and administrators about the importance of SEL.
- Advocate for public and private funding to support SEL in California.
- Advise officials/policymakers as to effective ways to implement SEL statewide.
- Develop and implement legislative strategy that promotes SEL.
- Expand opportunities for public discourse on the importance of SEL.
- Provide opportunities for California’s educators, education administrators, students, community members and other stakeholders to learn about and share SEL research, theory, and best practices.
- Promote the establishment of SEL curriculum and programming for pre-service teachers and administrators at California colleges and universities.
- Promote the establishment of SEL curriculum and training for parents and community-based educators.
- Promote current innovative SEL research initiatives and findings.
- Promote evaluation frameworks and metrics to measure SEL impact and effectiveness.
- Continually expand the SEL4CA website as a go-to SEL community resource.
- Build a diverse, comprehensive coalition of SEL supporters that involves all relevant sectors and key stakeholders of the community.
- Develop an active and effective Speakers Bureau.
- Establish a network of contacts with diverse organizations representing parents, caregivers. students, teachers, school counselors and administrators; and with business and worker associations and relevant nonprofits and government institutions. Include in the network community leaders, employers, practitioners, public officials, advocates, SEL-engaged individuals and other like-minded persons.
- Establish subcommittees of enthusiasts from various sectors such as professionals, unions, tech industry personnel, entertainment industry personnel and the like to promote SEL awareness and support among their colleagues.
- Solicit opinions from the broader “community” about issues and options.
- Encourage school districts and communities to engage in “needs assessments” relative to SEL, using established models of community participation and engagement.
- Build the organizational and governance structures.
- Establish an evolving strategic planning document.
- Determine resources necessary to carry out the strategic plan and sustain the organizational structure.
- Create budget and development strategy, where appropriate.
- Grow, organize and engage a volunteer membership that is ready-to-work and enthusiastic about the importance of SEL4CA.