To empower California youth to thrive in school and life by advancing and supporting effective Social and Emotional Learning programs, policies and practices in all schools and communities statewide.
- California schools and community education facilities serving as centers of safe, caring and supportive activity where young people succeed academically and develop the skills to solve problems, manage emotions, and to form positive and empathetic relationships with others.
- Educators and staff as empathetic, resilient, culturally aware and responsive.
- Creating opportunities for parents, caregivers, support teams (such as therapists and social workers), and the community at large to learn about, support and participate in SEL activities.
- Educate legislators and administrators about the importance of SEL.
- Advocate for public and private funding to support SEL in California.
- Advise officials/policymakers as to effective ways to implement SEL statewide.
- Develop and implement legislative strategy that promotes SEL.
- Expand opportunities for public discourse on the importance of SEL.
- Provide opportunities for California’s educators, education administrators, students, community members and other stakeholders to learn about and share SEL research, theory, and best practices.
- Promote the establishment of SEL curriculum and programming for pre-service teachers and administrators at California colleges and universities.
- Promote the establishment of SEL curriculum and training for parents and community-based educators.
- Promote current innovative SEL research initiatives and findings.
- Promote evaluation frameworks and metrics to measure SEL impact and effectiveness.
- Continually expand the SEL4CA website as a go-to SEL community resource.
- Build a diverse, comprehensive coalition of SEL supporters that involves all relevant sectors and key stakeholders of the community.
- Develop an active and effective Speakers Bureau.
- Establish a network of contacts with diverse organizations representing parents, caregivers. students, teachers, school counselors and administrators; and with business and worker associations and relevant nonprofits and government institutions. Include in the network community leaders, employers, practitioners, public officials, advocates, SEL-engaged individuals and other like-minded persons.
- Establish subcommittees of enthusiasts from various sectors such as professionals, unions, tech industry personnel, entertainment industry personnel and the like to promote SEL awareness and support among their colleagues.
- Solicit opinions from the broader “community” about issues and options.
- Encourage school districts and communities to engage in “needs assessments” relative to SEL, using established models of community participation and engagement.
- Build the organizational and governance structures.
- Establish an evolving strategic planning document.
- Determine resources necessary to carry out the strategic plan and sustain the organizational structure.
- Create budget and development strategy, where appropriate.
- Grow, organize and engage a volunteer membership that is ready-to-work and enthusiastic about the importance of SEL4CA.